Audition Notice: Honk!
Book by Anthony Drewe
Music by George Stiles
Lyrics by Anthony Drewe
Director: Wendy Stuart
Music Director: Shawn Gelzleichter
Choreographer: Elizabeth Rouse
Performance Dates: November 3, 10, 16, 17 @ 8pm, and November 4, 11 @ 2pm
Tech Dates: Sunday, October 28 – Friday, November 2
Tentative Rehearsal Days: Sunday afternoons, Tuesday & Wednesday evenings
Location: The Footlight Club, Eliot Hall, 7A Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
AUDITIONS: By appointment only. Please sign up here.
Location: Footlight Club, Eliot Hall, 7A Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain, MA
Dates: ADULTS: Monday, June 18th & Tuesday, June 19th 7-10pm, CHILDREN: Saturday, June 16th, 11am
Callbacks: Thursday, June 21st 7pm
- Actors will audition in groups of ten.
- Prepare two contrasting songs, each no longer than a 30-45 second cut. Please bring sheet music in the proper key.
- Sides will be provided at the initial audition.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your audition slot to complete an audition form.
- Bring a headshot and resume, only if you have one!
- Dance call will take place at callbacks, please dress accordingly.
- Know your conflicts to list on the audition sheet. Please be thorough.
Other Audition Info:
- Appointment times are start times. Each time slot will accommodate up to ten (10) auditioners. Please arrive in enough time prior to your appointment time to be ready to begin the process promptly.
- Missed appointments or late arrivals will only be accommodated as space and time allows.
- Actors needed at callbacks will be emailed by 10am the day of callbacks.
- All actors will be notified of casting results following callbacks.
- For questions, please contact the producers, Jen Ryan Gelzleichter and/or Leslie Sullivan.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Winner of the 2000 Olivier Award for Best Musical, this heartwarming celebration of being different is sure to delight audiences of all ages with its sparkling wit and memorable score. Based on Hans Christian Andersen's beloved story, "The Ugly Duckling," Honk! tells the story of an odd-looking baby duck, Ugly, and his quest to find his mother.
**Casting all ethnicities and body types.**
UGLY: a swan (unbeknownst to him), good-natured, nerdy, naive, thoughtful, desperately wants acceptance
CAT: sly, tricky, funny, animated, stalks UGLY for a tasty duck a l’orange
IDA: loving mother duck, protective of her brood, especially her “different” duckling
DRAKE: loafer, couch potato dad duck, rather be swimming than fathering
MAUREEN: gossipy moorhen, best friend to IDA
HENRIETTA: another gossipy hen in the farmyard, both she and MAUREEN are like the ladies in “The Music Man”
TURKEY: professor, academic, stodgy
GRACE: regal queen of the hen coop
GREYLAG: military goose, rigid, precise, demands that his goose regiment must be tip-top
DOT: GREYLAG’s right hand goose, bubbly, chatty
BARNACLES: goofy goose soldier
PINKFOOT: upstart goose soldier
SNOWY: smart aleck goose soldier
LOWBUTT: sophisticated hen, lives in comfortable house with friend QUEENIE, acts like high society
QUEENIE: sophisticated feline who acts upperclass and is above hunting for prey
BULLFROG: show-biz guy, comic, dazzling performer
PENNY: lovely ingenue type, a female swan who falls for UGLY
FATHER SWAN: wise and proud
MOTHER SWAN: poised and proud
BEWICK: younger swan who take after his parents
JAYBIRD (MAGGIE PIE): cheesy TV reporter, much like those on “ET” or “Access Hollywood”
DUCKLINGS: UGLY’s siblings, looking to cast teens/children ages 12+
VARIOUS other DUCKLINGS and FROGLETS